Friday, August 20, 2010

Trying to Stay Positive

In the past six+ months, I've been making phone calls, writing letters, setting meetings, and crying...all to rectify past mistakes so I could return to school and finish my bachelors degree.

It's been a tough ride...two steps forward, two steps back, blah blah blah. In a nutshell, I talked myself into attending this place. The program fit my schedule, and it seemed almost too good to be true....

My first red flag was the lack of response time from the college itself.
My second red flag was the "financial aid" package I was receiving.
My third red flag, a Nightline story on for-profit institutions.

As I sat on my couch soaking the story in, my brain was shouting "SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! YOU'VE GOT TO BE EFFING KIDDING ME! CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! I ALMOST WAS DUPED!!!!"

See, I don't think the university is a "bad" place, but my doubts have led me to the surmise that it isn't the right place for me or for my future. I want to look back and be proud of the hours I devoted to studying....I don't want to constantly justify my collegiate choice for the rest of my life. So...as of this point, I'm an email away from formally withdrawing myself from AU, and I have an appointment with an admissions counselor at a MNSCU school.

The new school will be a tougher road than the former...but I think a little hard work is exactly what I need.

Do you know anyone who has a bachelors degree from a for-profit school (eg, University of Phoenix, Argosy, etc.)? How is their degree received? Am I being ridiculous?

No comments: